License to Publish: Gold Open Access
In recognition of the author(s)' desire to publish the manuscript (the "Manuscript") and any supplemental material in the constituent journals (the "Journal": Journal of Cell Biology (JCB), Journal of Experimental Medicine (JEM), or Journal of General Physiology (JGP)), and the desire of the Rockefeller University Press ("RUP") to publish the Manuscript as quickly as possible should it be accepted, the Manuscript will be considered for publication on the following terms:
1. Corresponding Author Designation: The Corresponding Author has been designated by any and all co-Authors of the Manuscript (each an " Author" and collectively the " Authors") to sign this Agreement on their behalf. If the Manuscript was prepared jointly, the Corresponding Author agrees to inform any and all co-Authors of the terms of this Agreement and to obtain all co- Authors' permission to sign on their behalf.
2. Representations and Warranties: Each of the Authors represents and warrants that (a) the Manuscript was created by and is original to the Authors; (b) the Authors own or have the right to license the Manuscript to RUP pursuant to this agreement; (c) if any person other than the Authors contributed to any prior version of the Manuscript, the Authors have obtained from such person(s) all permissions and consents necessary for the submission of the Manuscript to RUP and the exercise by RUP of the rights granted in this agreement; (d) the Manuscript does not and will not infringe upon, violate, misappropriate or give rise to any adverse claim with respect to any intellectual property right or other personal, proprietary or contractual right of any third party, or defame any person, or violate any law or regulation; (e) the Authors have the full right, power and authority to enter into this agreement and to grant to RUP all rights granted in this agreement, free and clear of any and all adverse claims, encumbrances or other interests of any third party; (f) the Authors have not previously granted any rights in the Manuscript to any third party except as permitted pursuant to the section entitled “ Prior Publication” below; and (g) when executed and delivered, this agreement will constitute a legal, valid and binding obligation of each Author. Each Author will indemnify and hold RUP and The Rockefeller University harmless with respect to any claim or liability resulting from any breach of any of Author’s representations or warranties in this agreement or any assertion that is contrary to any such representations or warranties.
3. Author Contributions and Identification: Each of the Authors represents and warrants that the Author has contributed significantly to the content and preparation of the Manuscript and that the Author has seen and approved the content of the Manuscript and the manner in which the Authors are identified in connection with the Manuscript (including, without limitation, the order in which the Authors are listed and any identification of the respective contributions of the Authors).
4. Prior Publication: Each of the Authors represents and warrants that neither the Manuscript nor any paper or article containing content similar to the Manuscript has previously been published in any article listed in a public citation database or in a book identified with an ISBN. The Authors represent and warrant that the Manuscript is not currently under consideration for publication by any person or entity other than RUP and agree not to submit the Manuscript for publication elsewhere. If the Manuscript is accepted by RUP, the Authors will not submit or permit the Manuscript to be submitted to any other publisher. If the Manuscript or a prior version of the Manuscript has been published or made available via a " preprint server," the Authors shall notify RUP in writing of the same at the time of submission of the Manuscript to RUP and each of the Authors represents and warrants that neither the Authors nor any third party has granted any license or authorization in connection with the same that conflicts with any of the terms of this agreement or the rights granted to RUP in this agreement. Upon publication by RUP of the edited and formatted version of the Manuscript (such edited and formatted version, including all forms of supplemental material and any images used for cover art or for any other journal feature, the " Article"), the Authors shall request that the preprint server acknowledge publication of the Article and provide a citation to the Article and a link to the DOI associated with the Article.
5. No Competing Financial Interests: Each of the Authors represents and warrants that all commercial affiliations or arrangements, stock or equity interests or patent-licensing arrangements that could be considered to pose a conflict of interest regarding the submitted article have been disclosed in writing to RUP.
6. Permissions: The Authors are responsible for obtaining permission for the use of any copyrighted material that is owned by any third party. If the Manuscript contains any copyrighted material that is owned by a third party, the Authors shall at the time of submission of the Manuscript notify RUP in writing of the same and submit to RUP copies of all such permissions. If the Manuscript includes any material provided by others that is in the public domain or otherwise not subject to copyright protection, the Authors shall at the time of submission of the Manuscript notify RUP in writing of the same and submit to RUP copies of all permission letters or other agreements relating to such material.
7.Copyright and License:
a. Copyright Ownership: Ownership of copyright in the Manuscript remains with the Authors.
b. Retained Rights: After the Article is published in the Journal, the Authors will have the right to distribute the Article in the form and format as published by RUP as the Authors see fit, so long as the Authors provide a citation to the Article and a link to the DOI associated with the Article. The Authors' rights include (i) the right to publish the Article on the official website(s) of the institutions or organizations with which the Authors are affiliated and on the Authors' websites; and (ii) the right to deposit the Article with any funding repository if required pursuant to a grant or funding agreement.
c. License to RUP: The Authors hereby grant to RUP, from the date of submission of the Manuscript to RUP through the date on which the Article is published in the Journal, the exclusive right to edit, revise, supplement and format the Manuscript as deemed necessary by RUP in connection with the creation of the Article. The Authors hereby grant to RUP, from the date on which the Article is published in the Journal and continuing thereafter in perpetuity, the non-exclusive right to (i) publish, reproduce, distribute, display and store the Article in all media and formats whether now or later known or developed; (ii) translate the Article into other languages, create adaptations, summaries and extracts of the Article and other derivative works based on the Manuscript and exercise all of the rights set forth in (i) above in such translations, adaptations, summaries, extracts and derivative works; and (iiii) license others to do any or all of the above.
d. Open Access: The Authors have elected for RUP to make the Article freely available to the public on RUP’s website immediately upon publication. Users will have the non-exclusive right to copy, distribute, or display the Article under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license as descripted at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/legalcode, or updates thereof.
e. Special Notice for Governmental Works and Works for Hire: RUP acknowledges that if the Manuscript was prepared under a United States Government contract or by employees of a foreign or domestic government and is subject to government publication rights, then the above license is made subject to those rights. If an Author is unable to retain copyright in a Manuscript because the Author is an employee under a " work for hire" arrangement, the Author is responsible for ensuring that the Author's employer grants to RUP the above license rights and has authorized the Author to sign this license.
In cases where a manuscript is NOT accepted, the portions of this agreement regarding licensing shall be null and void.
Author licenses that apply these terms
JCB OA manuscript content verification and license to publish (PDF)
JEM OA manuscript content verification and license to publish (PDF)
JGP OA manuscript content verification and license to publish (PDF)
Rockefeller University Press
950 Third Ave, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10022